FERN is looking for a Finance and administration manager
FERN is a non-governmental organisation (NGO) created in 1995. Our mission is to achieve greater environmental and social justice, focusing on forests and forest peoples rights in the policies and practices of the European Union. We do this by co-ordinating NGO networks and by working co-operatively with partners to achieve change.
We believe that to be effective it is essential to understand and address the social dimension of environmental conflicts; that strong coalitions are more likely to achieve lasting change; and that presenting ways forward is often more effective than highlighting problems.
We have no director, and strive to make decisions by consensus.
Details of our current campaign areas can be found at www.fern.org/campaignareas.html
We currently have 18 staff working from two offices, in Brussels (Belgium) and Moreton in Marsh (UK).
We are looking for a new finance and administration manager to provide strong and professional support to the organisation. The post can be based in either of our offices.
A. Key areas of responsibility and associated tasks:
1. Organisational financial management:
Maintain analytical accounting to provide accurate costs by campaign/project and donor;
Prepare regular financial reports for budget holders, management team and colleagues, board and external stakeholders;
Monitor liquidity and prepare regular cash flow forecasts;
Participate in development and implementation of funding and other strategies;
Work with budget holders to develop and review their budgets;
Prepare and review the annual budget and regular forecasts;
Prepare and review the annual accounts and audit in compliance with legal and contractual requirements;
With colleagues, develop ferns systems, procedures and policies to ensure the organisations finances are managed in an efficient, ethical and transparent way.
2. Donor financial management (shared with the Finance colleagues):
- Prepare and review regular campaign budget reports;
- Support campaign colleagues in drafting funding applications, particularly project budgets, in line with the fundraising strategy;
- Prepare and deliver donor financial reports and other donor financial documents;
- Read donor contracts & ensure donor formats and conditions are complied with;
- Build and manage some donor relationships, and support colleagues with others;
- Maintain physical and computer files and folders to enable easy retrieval of information.
3. Campaign/project financial management:
- Participate in regular campaign/project management meetings;
- Help campaign staff in relevant aspects of financial management.
- Coordinate with Ferns Campaign Coordinator to maintain an overview of Ferns financial performance and position.
4. Fundraising (jointly with members of the fundraising strategy group):
- Participate in development and implementation of a financing and fundraising strategy;
- Maintain annexes to the fundraising strategy;
- Encourage, support and guide colleagues in their fundraising objectives and activities;
- Participate in regular fundraising group meetings.
5. Administrative management, jointly with finance and administration team (FAT) colleagues:
- Co-ordinate, support and motivate the FAT;
- Develop FAT job descriptions and participate in FAT recruitment;
- Establish FAT objectives and draft quarterly FAT workplans;
- Participate in regular FAT meetings;
- Represent FAT at internal meetings;
- Regularly review and update the House Rules and Procedures;
- Develop an annual organisational strategy plan;
B. Other requirements:
- Travel. As FERN is an international organisation with offices in two countries and activities in numerous countries, travel will sometimes be necessary to attend crucial meetings.
- Flexibility. FERN is a small campaigning organisation, and some flexibility will be required in working hours, for example in the case of preparing urgent funding proposals, budgets etc
C. Person specification:
We are looking for a strong and independent finance professional; a good team worker who is able to communicate well, across different cultural backgrounds; who can show initiative and can work quickly and accurately; who can work without close supervision and be a good co-manager of the organisation.
- At least five years experience of financial management of an organisation of similar size and complexity;
- Strong accountancy skills, either by qualification or experience;
- Familiarity with the Belgian and/or UK administrative environment;
- Fluency in English;
- Excellent computer skills (Word, Excel, Access, Internet, and a recognised accounting software);
- An interest in environmental and social issues.
- Experience of working for an NGO;
- Familiarity with fundraising procedures and applications/reporting requirements of funders, notably the European Commission.
- Fluency in French
- From €42,650 to €57,050, if based in Belgium; from £33,480 to £43,176, if based in the UK.
D. How to apply:
Applications should be made in English and comprise a short covering letter explaining why you are interested in this job, including what attracts you to FERN and what you could bring to FERN, and a CV detailing all relevant work experience. Applications without a properly prepared covering letter will not be considered. Only selected candidates will be contacted.
Deadline for applications: 09.00 (BE time) 16th January 2017
First interviews Full assessment day: Thursday 2nd February in Brussels
Second interviews Wednesday 8th February in Moreton-in-Marsh
Send applications to: email@example.com
If you'd like to discuss the job, contact Tom Espley: firstname.lastname@example.org